Derek “Heavy” Mill
2. Why CSG?
Why Not?? Working with core, passionate people who love the outdoor business and a company that offers potential to grow.
3. Favorite recreation location/ski or golf resort
Vail (back bowls), Sanctuary
4. What unique perspective do you offer to your customers?
I’ve been involved in the winter sports industry since 1990 and I’ve seen a lot of changes.
5. What do your customers like most about you?
I’m honest and passionate about our business.
6. Describe a memorable situation in which you really had an impact on a customer
Days before Christmas we had two, unrelated, female guests (“A” & “B”) that purchased new skis, boots and bindings from our store. Both guests had very similarly sized and colored Salomon boots as well as similar shop claim ticket ending numbers for pick up of their equipment. One of our associates, unknowingly, gave one of the guests the wrong boot. This guest “A” didn’t realize she received the wrong boot until after we called her later in the day. Guest “B” came into the store to pick-up her equipment for which she and her family were going to use the next day starting their Christmas vacation. As you can imagine, the guest was a little upset with us. When I stepped into the situation, the husband of guest “B” had become somewhat irate with our not knowing what happened to his wife’s boot. I quickly assured the guest that 1. We’ll find her boot, 2. We have a quick solution to give her our best rental boot for the vacation, which they agreed to.
After guest “B” left the store, our associates involved in the situation started to look at the day’s paperwork to see if we could find any similar Salomon boots that might have gone out earlier in the day. Sure enough they found the missing boot. I called the guest who had the wrong boot and she agreed to bring it back to the store ASAP. I gave her two free ski tunes to use later in the season for her inconvenience. With the missing boot in hand, I called guest “B” and told him the good news and that I would personally deliver it to his home in Castle Pines. I delivered the boot at about 8:30pm and the guest said, “I’m blown away by you going above and beyond to take care of us…..thank you!!”
7. Favorite sporting event
My kids sporting events (Basketball and Lacrosse).
8. Most memorable moment skiing/golfing?
Heli boarding in AK, playing the Sanctuary and Shadow Creek (Las Vegas) in the same year.
9. Favorite piece of equipment
Cleveland 3 wood, Boa system snowboarding boots.
10. Favorite accessory or gadget
Scotty Cameron aluminum divot tool with my name on it.
11. Best gift at CSG under $50
12. Best equipment selection advice
Don’t go cheap on your boots…your feet with thank you.
13. What do you carry in your ski jacket/golf bag
14. Best ski day/golf outing snack/meal
Sushi and a cold beer!!
15. What’s on your play list?
Anything old school 80’s Alternative, Hip-Hop and Rock.
16. Favorite sports team
17. Where is the coolest place you have ever been?
18. Name your top three non-ski/golf activities
My kids sporting events, fishing and camping.
19. Where can you usually be found?
At home with my family.